6 Ways Cannabis Can Help With Your Mental Health
All over the world, millions of people are suffering from mental health problems, with depression and anxiety being the most common. These problems are often caused by chronic stress and by the fact that we have become accustomed to leading a hectic lifestyle. Cannabis is one of the most efficient solutions for mental health problems, as you will have the opportunity to discover in the following paragraphs. It can treat a broad range of problems, including the ones related to sexual health, stress and anxiety. And, more importantly, it can improve overall mood and help those who suffer from depression.
- Neurotransmitter regulation – Often, those who suffer from depression and anxiety have a problem with neurotransmitter regulation. Cannabis targets the endocannabinoid system of the brain directly, regulating both the production and release of vital neurotransmitters. Basically, it functions similarly with depression and anxiety medication, without any of the discomforting side effects. Taken on a regular basis, it regulates the most important neurotransmitters, such as serotonin, dopamine and GABA. You will no longer feel depressed, anxious or stressed, enjoying life once again.
- Release and relaxation – Many who suffer from mental health problems have gone through a traumatic event. PTSD is more common than anyone might think, regardless of one’s occupation, background or culture. It can lead to anxiety and depression, with a negative impact on the overall quality of life. Cannabis can help one let go of such traumatic memories, promoting a state of relaxation and calm. It supports the healthy functioning of the endocannabinoid system, working wonders on the level of self-esteem at the same time.
- Sexual health – Sexual health and mental problems are intricately connected; when one feels stressed, anxious or depressed, sexual health is often affected, reinforcing the vicious circle. If you are looking for a way to enjoy sexual activity, cannabis might be the answer to your question. You might not be aware of this for a fact, but cannabis can be used to increase sperm volume as well. In turn, this can guarantee a better fertility rate and, thus, an increased chance of becoming a parent. Returning to sexual health, cannabis can help you relax and feel less pressed to perform in the bedroom. You will finally be able to enjoy a satisfying sexual experience, being able to care for your partner as well.
- Chronic pain – Chronic pain can have a significant influence on a person’s quality of life, leading to depression and anxiety. The more severe the pain, the higher the risk of mental health problems is going to be. In this situation, you might want to turn to cannabis as the solution to all of your problems. Cannabis can help with the necessary pain relief, allowing you to engage in daily living activities once again. Moreover, it works to promote a state of relaxation, which is extremely beneficial for a person who suffers from a chronic condition. It helps one fight chronic fatigue and other upsetting symptoms, improving the mood and the overall level of functionality.
- Emotional response – When a person suffers from a mental health problem, the emotional response to certain situations might become modified (either too intense or not intense enough). Because of such changes, one might have difficulties adapting to normal-day circumstances. Experiences otherwise acceptable can become stressful, making the emotional response even worse. Cannabis can regulate the emotional response of a person who is suffering from depression, anxiety or chronic stress. It can help the brain to adapt to stressful situations, efficiently regulating emotions quickly.
- Fight or flight – Whenever humans are confronted with a potentially dangerous situation, the fight or flight conflict appears at the level of the brain. In a quick period of time, the brain has to decide whether it is safe to remain in that situation or not. When wrongful associations are made, the brain becomes confused and stress naturally follows. The moderate intake of cannabis could help the brain regulate the fight-or-flight response, thus reducing the anxiety and stress associated with otherwise normal situations. This is also possible because cannabis regulates the response to fear, helping one feel better about potentially-dangerous situations.
Mental health remains a subject of research for scientists from all over the world. Solutions are sought to replace current treatments for chronic stress, anxiety and depression, as these seem to make matters worse. Cannabis is an efficient remedy for those who suffer from such problems, having a wide range of benefits to offer. As you have seen, it can regulate the production and release of neurotransmitters, promote relaxation and ensure a proper emotional response to common situations. Cannabis can be of use to those who suffer from chronic pain and derived mental health problems.
Cannabis is beneficial for those who have been diagnosed with a mental health problem. It can also be considered an erectile dysfunction natural treatment, helping those who are suffering from unsatisfactory sexual experiences. This is an important point to consider, as these are a lot of people who deal with erectile dysfunction on a regular basis; having a natural treatment such as cannabis is great, especially if we stop for a moment and think how sexual health problems can cause mood swings, anxiety and depression.
This article is for informational purposes only and is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider with any questions you may have regarding a psychological or psychiatric condition. Never disregard professional medical advice or delay seeking it because of something you have read online. Read the full disclaimer here.
Brian Adam is a researcher and advisor with a passion for men’s health and wellness. Brian also diet, believing that the combination of exercise, a healthy diet, and a positive mindset all contribute to achieving one’s full potential. He mostly writes articles on health and healthcare. You can connect with Brian on Twitter @brianadam884 and on Facebook.
247 total views, 1 today